2012-13 Deer Draw Hunts
All Deer Hunts:
- Hunts at Canemount WMA are open ONLY to Mississippi resident license holders and exempt residents age 16 years of age or older.
- Only archery equipment (including crossbows) and primitive weapons are allowed.
- All hunts will be 3-day hunts (Friday - Sunday or Monday - Wednesday)
- Archery Hunts: Oct 1 - Nov 14
- Primitive Weapons Hunts: Nov 16 - Jan 13
- Hunters will be selected through a random computer drawing
- 12 hunters will be selected for each 3-day hunt and randomly assigned to one of 6 designated hunt units
- Only 2 hunters will be assigned to each clearly marked hunt unit per hunt
- There will be a Non-refundable $5 application fee for all archery and primitive weapon hunts
- Hunters who are drawn must purchase an additional $300 permit for a 3-day hunt.
- All permits are Non-refundable and non-transferable.
- Applications will be accepted from August 31 - September 10
- Hunters must provide a valid e-mail address when applying and will be notified by e-mail if drawn
Bag Limits / Harvest Criteria:
- Hunters may harvest 1 antlerless deer per day (3 per hunt) and 1 legal buck per hunt, not to exceed the statewide bag limit.
- Legal bucks must have an inside spread of at least 16 inches OR one main beam measuring at least 20 inches.
- For management purposes, a limited number of special buck tags which allow the harvest of 1 buck per year with at least one unforked antler will be available. It will be the hunter's responsibility to check on the availability of Special Buck Tags when they arrive at the WMA.
Timeline for Deer Hunt Applications:
- Applications will be available beginning at 8:00 am Friday, August 31 - Monday, Sept 10 at midnight.
- Drawing will take place on Tuesday, Sept 11.
- Hunters selected will be notified by email.
- Permits will go on sale at noon Sept 12 on mdwfp.com. Permits will be $300 per hunter for a 3-day hunt.
- Drawn hunters must make payment by Wednesday, Sept 19 at 8:00am
- If full payment is not made by Sept 19 at 8:00am, hunters will forfeit their permit.
- A second drawing will be held on Sept 19 to fill unpurchased permits.
- Hunters selected during the second drawing will be notified by email.
- Hunters selected during the second drawing must make payment by Wednesday, September 26 at 8:00am.
- Any permit not purchased by Sept 26 will be forfeited. No permits will be sold after Sept 26.