2013-14 Deer Draw Hunts
All Deer Hunts:
- Hunts at Canemount WMA are open ONLY to Mississippi resident license holders and exempt residents age 16 years of age or older.
- Only archery equipment (including crossbows) and primitive weapons are allowed.
- All hunts will be 3-day hunts (Friday - Sunday or Monday - Wednesday)
- Archery Hunts: Oct 4 - Nov 13
- Primitive Weapons Hunts: Nov 15 - Jan 12
- Hunters will be selected through a random computer drawing
- 12 hunters will be selected for each 3-day hunt and randomly assigned to one of 6 designated hunt units
- Only 2 hunters will be assigned to each clearly marked hunt unit per hunt
- Applicants MUST have a valid MS Resident Hunting Licence to apply for hunts.
- Hunters who are drawn must purchase an additional $300 permit for a 3-day hunt.
- All permits are non-refundable and non-transferable.
- Applications will be accepted from August 31 - September 10
- Hunters must provide a valid e-mail address when applying and will be notified by e-mail if drawn
Bag Limits / Harvest Criteria:
- Hunters may harvest 1 antlerless deer per day (3 per hunt) and 1 legal buck per hunt, not to exceed the statewide bag limit.
- Legal bucks must have an inside spread of at least 16 inches OR one main beam measuring at least 20 inches.
Timeline for Deer Hunt Applications:
- Applications will be available beginning at 8:00 am Friday, August 30 - Tuesday, Sept 10 at midnight.
- Drawing will take place on Wednesday, Sept 11.
- Hunters selected will be notified by email.
- Permits will go on sale at noon Sept 12 on mdwfp.com. Permits will be $300 per hunter for a 3-day hunt.
- Drawn hunters must make payment by Thursday, Sept 19 at 8:00 am
- If full payment is not made by Sept 19 at 8:00 am, hunters will forfeit their permit.
- A second drawing will be held on Sept 19 to fill unpurchased permits.
- Hunters selected during the second drawing will be notified by email.
- Hunters selected during the second drawing must make payment by Thursday, September 26 at 8:00 am.
- Any permit not purchased by Sept 26 will be forfeited. No permits will be sold after Sept 26.