1/13/2020 4:41:33 PM
PURSUANT TO the authority set forth in Miss. CODE ANN. §49-1-29( a), the Executive Director, with the approval of the Mississippi Commission on Wildlife, Fisheries, and Parks, hereby finds that the unusually heavy rainfall during the month of December 2019 and January 2020, has resulted in extraordinarily high water levels and backwater flooding in the (Mississippi) South Delta.
The Executive Director finds that rising backwater from the Steele Bayou will soon inundate the Mahannah WMA headquarters, main entrance roads, and ATV trails. The Executive Director further finds that the high water levels present an imminent threat and peril to the public health, safety, welfare, and infrastructure, and that deer and small game hunting opportunities should be set aside and/or closed until the waters recede.
Effective January 14, 2020, areas set forth below shall be closed to all hunting except waterfowl.
• Mahannah Wildlife Management Area (WMA) waterfowl draw hunts are hereby canceled. Any associated areas within the Phil Bryant WMA, open to waterfowl draw hunts, are also hereby closed.
• Mahannah WMA will be open to waterfowl hunting DAILY.
• All hunting shall end at noon.
• Access will be managed on a day to day basis as the conditions change or permit.
• All portions of Mahannah WMA will be open to waterfowl hunting EXCEPT the waterfowl sanctuary.
• The main access road to the WMA headquarters is currently closed.
SO ORDERED, this the 14th day of January 2020.