1/30/2019 9:01:13 AM
Dive into an underwater adventure and explore the science of watersheds, aquatic animals, and our ocean in Ocean Bound!, a national traveling exhibit at MDWFP’s Mississippi Museum of Natural Science, open through May 12, 2019. Here you can explore the ocean’s vast diversity and come to understand our connection to it through more than 65 eye-popping aquatic species and ecosystems, hi-definition video, and hands-on activities.
See how everyone’s actions on land affect our ocean:
- Make it rain in a 3-D watershed model,
- Pilot a full-size “submersible” from mountain stream all the way to the ocean, discovering aquatic species and habitats along the way,
- Be a biologist and find out fun facts about these animals and their environments,
- Guide “water” safely through a hazardous maze - but watch out for oil, mined metals, and animal waste,
- Turn cranks to divert “pollutants” as they travel through stormwater drains in an 8-station interactive ball machine,
- Curl up with a book or play with early childhood exhibits inside the Riverside Clubhouse.
In this interactive exhibit, you and your family will:
- Understand the science of watersheds, and how watersheds affect animals, ecosystems, our ocean and Planet Earth,
- Explore what makes a healthy watershed, and recognize threats to water resources such as water quality and quantity,
- Learn how science can help to improve watersheds, and be inspired to seek knowledge about your watershed,
- Be empowered to change behaviors to help aquatic animals and ecosystems,
- Be part of a long-term solution to protect vital watershed resources.
Ocean Bound!, was developed by the Sciencecenter and funded by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Association (NOAA).