Friday, June 16, 2017
Mississippi Wildlife, Fisheries, & Parks
1505 Eastover Dr. Jackson, MS 39211
Phone: (601) 432-2400
MDWFP Conservation Officers Place No. 1 at National LawFit Challenge
JACKSON - Conservation Officers from the Mississippi Department of Wildlife, Fisheries, and Park (MDWFP) claimed the title of “Fittest in the Nation” as they took the top spot at the 16th annual National LawFit Challenge held this past weekend in Pearl, MS. Over 135 law enforcement officers from around the country competed in this year’s event which tests officers in 6 different events: bench press, 1.5 mile run, sit-ups, flexibility, pull-ups, and a suspect pursuit course.
The 2017 MDWFP LawFit team consisted of the following officers: Capt Chris Reed, Lt Marcus Christon, SGM Ron McMillan, Cpl Justin Gates, Pvt Derrick Scott, and Pvt Tamarrius Good. All six MDWFP officers placed in the top 16 overall with Scott, Christon, and Gates finishing first, second, and third respectively.
The following records were broken by Team MDWFP:
- MDWFP set the new record for points scored by a 4-man team with 1618 points scored. (Scott, Christon, Gates, Reed)
- Derrick Scott and Marcus Christon 2-man team- 846 pts
- Derrick Scott scored 424 pts (new individual record)
- Marcus Christon scored 422 pts (previous individual record of 418 (set by Christon in 2015)
- Justin Gates scored 407 pts (5th highest point total ever)
- Justin Gates reclaimed the bench press record, lifting 226% of his bodyweight
“Our officers are the best of the best and this weekend’s competition shows that. I am extremely proud of all 6 of these officers who represented themselves and their agency in such a positive light. Job well done” states Colonel Steve Adcock.
For more information regarding conservation in Mississippi, visit www.mdwfp.com or call (601) 432-2200. Follow us on Facebook at facebook.com/mdwfp or on Twitter at www.twitter.com/MDWFPonline.