For the 2017 Spring Gobbler season, turkey hunters are asked
to voluntarily report their harvest on Mississippi's new Game Check
Data collection is the cornerstone of informed wildlife
management decisions. Unfortunately, several shortcomings
with current harvest estimates limit the Missisissippi Department
of Wildlife, Fisheries, and Parks (MDWFP) ability to manage the
statewide turkey populations:
- Harvest estimates are not available in a timely
- Only harvests from hunters required to purchase a license are
included in harvest estimates. Harvest by those exempt from
purchasing a license is unknown.
- Harvest estimates are not available at regional or county
- The timing of harvests within the spring season is unkown.
To address these weaknesses, the MDWFP aims to begin an online
harvest reporting system. Beginning with the 2017 spring season,
turkey hunters are asked to voluntarily report their harvests
online to the MDWFP. While not required to do so by law, the
information provided will be valuable in helping to understand
where and when turkey harvests occur within the state.
Harvest information will only be tied to a particular county, so
the location of your particular hunting location will not be
revealed. Individual information about your harvests will not
be shared, although summary statistics may be made viewable to
Mississippi's turkey hunting public.
To report your harvest:
- Visit the Mississippi Game Check
- If you are a first-time user, click 'Register' to begin
creating your Game Check account.
- You will be asked to enter your birthdate, last name, and MDWFP
Customer ID number. This number is found on your hunting
license. If you are exempt from purchasing a hunting license
you will be given the option of using the last 4 digits of your
social security or driver's license numbers in lieu of your MDWFP
- Create a password for your Mississippi Game Check
- Once your account is created, you will be sent a confirmation
email. You can then utilize the link provided or return to
the Mississippi Game Check homepage to sign into your
account. After creation of your account, you will be able to
sign in directly for subsequent harvest reports.
- Once you are logged into your Mississippi Game Check account,
the 'Report Your Turkey' button take you to your turkey harvest
page. Click the 'Report Your Turkey' button to add a harvest
record to the table. Once reported, a record of your harvest
will appear in the table. You will receive a confirmation
email once your harvest has been recorded into the
- For questions or comments regarding the Mississippi Game
Check system, contact the MDWFP Wildlife Bureau at (601)