Manager: Tim Harden
Howard Miller WMA is located in Issaquena County near Rolling Fork. From Rolling Fork go 5.2 miles west on Hwy 14. Turn left opposite the intersection with Hwy 1. Follow paved road 4.5 miles, then turn left on Grant Road. Follow Grant Road 3.2 miles to WMA Headquarters. If you have any questions regarding Howard Miller WMA call (662) 873-6958.
Description: Howard Miller WMA is a 2,400 acre tract located in Issaquena County approximately 13 miles from Rolling Fork. It is a former rice and soybean farm that was acquired by the Mississippi Department of Wildlife, Fisheries, and Parks (MDWFP) in 2007. There are 48 fields separated by levees and ditches. These fields are grouped into 24 hunt units approximately 80 acres in size each. There are 420 acres of permanent wildlife sanctuary.
Howard Miller WMA is managed as a quality waterfowl hunting area. Approximately 480 acres are managed for moist-soil vegetation with beneficial native plants. Plant species that are selected for include smartweed, sprangletop, wild millets, and various sedges. All of these native species produce large numbers of seeds that are relished by waterfowl in winter. The remaining area is planted in soybeans, corn, and rice.
Waterfowl hunting is by draw hunt only with a combination of pre-season draws and stand-by opportunities. Hunts are conducted on Saturdays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays. Random drawings are conducted at 5:00 the morning of each hunt day. Pre-season draws guarantee a hunter he will hunt on the day of his draw, but he must still draw for a hunt unit the morning of his reservation.
- Rules & Regs for Howard Miller WMA
- WMA Interactive Map
- WMA Draw Hunts
- Howard Miller Area Map
- Howard Miller Hunt Unit Maps
- Waterfowl Hunting Information
- Handicapped Hunter Access
- Local Weather
Important Information if you are Hunting Howard Miller WMA
- This area was not farmed in 2019 due to prolonged backwater flooding, and natural vegetation is limited in some impoundments.
- Bringing some type of artificial cover is recommended.
- Some type of small layout boat, layout blind with tub, etc. to allow hunter to reduce silhouette, is recommended.
- Camouflage - Tan or brown camouflage (e.g. Fast Grass) in moist soil units is recommended.
- ATV/UTVs recommended/almost a must have!
- DO NOT plan on pulling a trailer behind ATV/UTV to hunt units!