Frequently Asked Questions

On Ramp and Pier Details there is a Ramp Index that ranges from 1 to 6. Here's what those numbers mean:

For River or Reservoirs:

  1. Ramp and parking suitable for large boats.
  2. Water levels or ramp slope may limit access of large boats.
  3. Same as #2, and parking may be limited. For Smaller Lake or Stream.
  4. Ramp and parking suitable for small fishing or pleasure boats. 
  5. Water levels or ramp slope may limit access of small boats.
  6. Same as #5, and parking may be limited. Dennis Riecke, MDWFP Fisheries Biologist.

Application and Rules for State Record Fish

  1. Fish must be caught on rod, reel and line, or pole and line, and hooked with any legal hook or lure.
  2. Fish must be weighed in the presence of MDWFP personnel on certified scales or scales legal for trade. The weighing must witnessed by others, who MUST sign the application form. No provision for weight loss will be allowed. The actual weight of the fish AT THE TIME OF WEIGHING will be the OFFICIAL WEIGHT. It is desired (but not mandatory) to have signature(s) on the application form of witness(es), if any, to the actual catching of the fish.
  3. Two (2) photographs (preferably in color) should be taken of the proposed record fish. A. One (1) of the angler and fish. B. One (1) showing a clear, close up side view of only the fish.
  4. Length of the fish must be measured using a flatboard and with fish mouth closed, from tip of snout to tip of tail (with tail squeezed together to give longest possible measurement) which gives the maximum overall measurement. Fork length measurement should also be taken from the tip of shout to the fork of the tail. (See diagram on application)
  5. Girth of the fish will be measured around the thickest portion of the body. (See diagram)
  6. Applications for black bass, crappie and sunfish MUST be positively identified AND verified by a Professional Fisheries Biologist with the MDWFP.
  7. The Mississippi Department of Wildlife, Fisheries, and Parks reserves the right to further check fish identification or verification of witnesses and to refuse any application that is questionable. It will be considered "just cause" for disqualification of current application and any previous records established by anyone who knowingly falsifies a record fish application.

If the rules are not clear, PLEASE reread them.

Record Fish Applications

All rules will be strictly adhered to!
The decision of the Mississippi Department of Wildlife, Fisheries, and Parks will be final.

Return To:
MDWFP Fisheries Bureau
1505 Eastover Dr.
Jackson, Mississippi 39211-6374
Dennis Riecke, MDWFP Fisheries Biologist

The Alabama Rig is legal to use in almost all public waters in Mississippi.  The exceptions are the following, where anglers are restricted to by the number of lures and/or hooks per pole that can be used:

  • Grenada, Arkabutla, Sardis, and Enid Lakes
  • Spillways of Ross Barnett and Okatibbee Reservoirs
  • Spillways of Grenada, Enid, Sardis, and Arkabutla Lakes from spillway outlets to the end of the riprap
  • Bluff Lake spillway in Noxubee County
  • Lowhead dam on Ross Barnett Reservoir from the dam to the end of the Idle Speed Only/No Wake Zone area downstream of the dam.

The Alabama Rig is legal to fish everywhere else in Mississippi.

Please click HERE for a map that shows where your Mississippi fishing license is good on Pickwick Lake.


Owners of new or used boats may get the registration form at any local county tax collector's office, most places where boats are sold or serviced, MDWFP District Offices, Jackson Office, or Online. Complete the form, attach any necessary documents, sign and forward to the Department with appropriate fee.

To register a new boat include the sales invoice showing proof of payment of Mississippi sales tax. If the boat was purchased in another state you may pay Mississippi state sales tax at the local county Tax Collector's office. Include this proof of payment with the registration application. If registering or transferring ownership of a used boat include a notarized bill of sale describing the boat being purchased. If the bill of sale is not notarized it must be signed by one witness. If a boat was previously registered and titled in a state that requires mandatory titling you must also include the previous state's registration and title.

The registration application requires a Hull Identification Number. This number should contain 12 digits if the boat was manufactured after November, 1972. Examples of proper 12 digit Hull Identification Numbers will be: ABC456781272, ABC45678M73E or ABC45678A484. Boats manufactured prior to 1972 will have a serial number.


Once a boat is registered a notice to renew the registration will be mailed to the owner by the MDWFP. For convenience and faster service you may renew you boat registration wherever hunting and fishing license are sold, by calling 1-800-5GO-HUNT (1-800-546-4868) which is available 24 hours a day, or Online at You may also mail your renewal to the MDWFP Boat Registration Department. You should notify MDWFP Boat Registration Department of any address changes.

If you lose your boat registration card and/or decals or if you need an additional boat registration card you may obtain a duplicate wherever hunting and fishing license are sold or by calling 1-800-5GO-HUNT (1-800-546-4868) which is available 24 hours a day.

Share this share this share this

Sign up, Keep Up

Sign up to receive monthly newsletters featuring all the latest news and happenings from MDWFP.
- or -
Sign up to receive survey questions from MDWFP. Your information is valuable to our conservation efforts!