Fossil Road Show
Saturday, March 7, 2020
Time: 10 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
Location: MDWFP's Mississippi Museum of Natural Science
For more information please contact the Visitor Information Specialist at 601-576-6000 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Pack up your fossils and hit the road!
There’s lot for families to do at the Fossil Road Show. Adults will enjoy the specialty exhibitor tables, but the kids will love the fossil gravel hunt for actual Mississippi fossils, the indoor scavenger hunt built around the museum’s fossil wall (a.k.a. Stories in Stone), and digging in real fossil sediments from the “Red Hot” Truck Stop.
This fun, educational, inter-generational event brings families together to share their love of Mississippi’s fossil history and has something for everyone with an interest in our paleo-history.
- Have an interesting fossil, but don’t know what it is? Bring your fossil discoveries to get expert opinions about their ages and identities from our team of scientists! Not only will you learn about your fossils, but you can see what other guests, exhibitors, and “rock-hounds” have found across the state. So, go through your “rock boxes” and challenge our staff with your prehistoric oddities.
- See the museum’s fossil collection and collector displays
- Visit with institutional exhibitors and our paleontology researchers
- Guest Speaker: James Starnes of the Mississippi Office of Geology will discuss several regions in the state and their importance to prehistoric Native Americans as sources for various kinds of stone used in the production of tools (like arrowheads) and other stone artifacts.
- Participate in hands-on activities, “fossil digs”, and a scavenger hunt
- Get updates on current paleontological research & news from the Mississippi Office of Geology and MDWFP's Mississippi Museum of Natural Science
- Join our resident artist Sam Beibers as he demonstrates his still-life watercolor techniques with paleo-subjects. Kids can make their own fossil inspired art, with ammonites as our fossil models, while getting painting tips.
- Get your face painted by Fantastic Face Painting (not included with admission).
The event is included in the regular museum admission fee of $6 for adults, $4 for youth ages 3-18, and $5 for senior citizens. Ages under 3 are free. Mississippi Museum of Natural Science Foundation Members are free.
For more information call 601-576-6000.