Wildlife Rehabilitation

The Mississippi Department of Wildlife, Fisheries, and Parks under the authority of Section 49-5-107, Mississippi Code of 1972, adopted regulations pertaining to captive-held game species and furbearers (Public Notice 2877) and non-game species in need of management (Public Notice M4-3201).

Contact Collections Manager

Injured or orphaned game or furbearing animals may be kept temporarily in captivity for the purpose of rehabilitation for release into the wild, only under a permit issued by MDWFP.  Raptors, migratory birds, and federally protected species require both a state permit issued by MDWFP, and federal permit issued by the  U. S. Fish and Wildlife Service.  

Persons wishing to apply for a rehabilitation permit should fill out the  permit application form and mail it along with all required supporting documents to the address at the stop of the application.

A list of state/federally permitted rehabilitators can be found at:

Permits will only be issued to persons who comply with all criteria listed in the application.  We strongly suggest that persons interested in rehabilitation of wild animals join one of the rehabilitation organizations in the state (listed at the address above).  Please note that a wildlife rehabilitation permit does not give the permittee permission to keep native wildlife as pets.  All rehabilitation facilities are subject to inspection by MDWFP personnel.

Share this share this share this

Sign up, Keep Up

Sign up to receive monthly newsletters featuring all the latest news and happenings from MDWFP.
- or -
Sign up to receive survey questions from MDWFP. Your information is valuable to our conservation efforts!