CWD Management Zone
The CWD Management Zone includes portions of Issaquena, Sharkey, and Warren counties. The area is defined as:
- All portions of Warren County
- All areas east of the Mississippi River
- All areas south of Highways 14 and 16
- Areas west of the Yazoo River
(click to enlarge)
Supplemental Feeding and Carcass Transportation Ban
- Supplemental feeding is banned in the CWD Management Zone (salt licks, mineral licks, and feeders). Direct contact with prions is the most effective means of transmitting CWD. Research indicates saliva may have the highest concentration of prions. Thus, to minimize concentration of deer and potential spread of CWD, supplemental feeding is banned within the CWD Management Zone.
- Carcasses may not be transported outside of the CWD Management Zone. Research has shown that decomposed carcasses of infected animals can also contribute to transmission when prions bind to soil and plant material. Thus, movement of carcasses may introduce CWD into previously uninfected areas.