Help Manage Mississippi's Turkey Flock! REPORT Your 2017 Spring Harvests!
For the 2017 Spring Gobbler season, turkey hunters are asked to voluntarily report their harvest on Mississippi's new Game Check system.
Data collection is the cornerstone of informed wildlife management decisions. Unfortunately, several shortcomings with current harvest estimates limit the Mississippi Department of Wildlife, Fisheries, and Parks (MDWFP) ability to manage the statewide turkey populations:
- Harvest estimates are not available in a timely manner.
- Only harvests from hunters required to purchase a license are included in harvest estimates. Harvest by those exempt from purchasing a license is unknown.
- Harvest estimates are not available at regional or county levels.
- The timing of harvests within the spring season is unknown.
To address these weaknesses, the MDWFP aims to begin an online harvest reporting system. Beginning with the 2017 spring season, turkey hunters are asked to voluntarily report their harvests online to the MDWFP. While not required to do so by law, the information provided will be valuable in helping to understand where and when turkey harvests occur within the state. Harvest information will only be tied to a particular county, so the location of your particular hunting location will not be revealed. Individual information about your harvests will not be shared, although summary statistics may be made viewable to Mississippi's turkey hunting public.
To report your harvest:
- Visit the Mississippi Game Check homepage.
- If you are a first-time user, click 'Register' to begin creating your Game Check account.
- You will be asked to enter your birthdate, last name, and MDWFP Customer ID number. This number is found on your hunting license. If you are exempt from purchasing a hunting license you will be given the option of using the last 4 digits of your social security or driver's license numbers in lieu of your MDWFP Customer ID.
- Create a password for your Mississippi Game Check account.
- Once your account is created, you will be sent a confirmation email. You can then utilize the link provided or return to the Mississippi Game Check homepage to sign into your account. After creation of your account, you will be able to sign in directly for subsequent harvest reports.
- Once you are logged into your Mississippi Game Check account, the 'Report Your Turkey' button take you to your turkey harvest page. Click the 'Report Your Turkey' button to add a harvest record to the table. Once reported, a record of your harvest will appear in the table. You will receive a confirmation email once your harvest has been recorded into the database.
- For questions or comments regarding the Mississippi Game Check system, contact the MDWFP Wildlife Bureau at (601) 432-2199.