Aerial Survey Reports
MDWFP biologists fly aerial waterfowl surveys in the Mississippi Delta from November to January. Surveys are typically conducted four times a year along randomly selected transects. As we fly along the east-west transects from the Mississippi River to the hill line, we count all of the ducks seen within a 250-meter strip, which is marked on the airplane. Each group of ducks is recorded with a Global Positioning System (GPS) to generate the maps in the reports below. We then use the total number of ducks counted along the transects to calculate an estimate of all of the ducks in the Mississippi Delta. While not a complete count of all waterfowl, these estimates provide an accurate index of waterfowl abundance throughout the Delta. This information is regularly used by both MDWFP and hunters to identify key wetland areas for waterfowl and to track responses of waterfowl to changes in weather and habitat. In fact, the Arkansas Game and Fish Commission adopted this survey method in 2009. These surveys will help biologists and hunters better understand waterfowl migration throughout the lower Mississippi Flyway.
2017-18 Aerial Surveys
- November 2017 Aerial Survey Report
- December 2017 Aerial Survey Report
- Early January 2018 Aerial Survey Report
2015-16 Aerial Surveys
- November 2015 Aerial Survey Report
- December 2015 Aerial Survey Report
- Early January 2016 Aerial Survey Report
- Late January 2016 Aerial Survey Report
2014-15 Aerial Surveys
- November 2014 Aerial Survey Report
- December 2014 Aerial Survey Report
- Early January 2015 Aerial Survey Report
- Late January 2015 Aerial Survey Report
Large group of ducks on a flooded cypress brake in the Delta.
2013-2014 Aerial Surveys
- November 2013 Early Season Waterfowl Report
- December 2013 Aerial Survey Report
- Early January 2014 Aerial Survey Report
- January 2014 Late Season Waterfowl Report
2012-2013 Aerial Surveys
- December 2012 Aerial Survey Report
- Early January 2013 Aerial Survey Report
- Late January 2013 Aerial Survey Report
View of Howard Miller WMA during a November flight.
Large flock of snow geese observed during a December flight.
Delta Wildlife annually provides MDWFP with financial assistance for conducting aerial waterfowl surveys.