Manager: John Harris
Mahannah WMA is located in Issaquena and Warren Counties near Redwood. Approximately 18 miles north of Vicksburg on Hwy 61. Turn left (west) at WMA sign on Floweree Road. Go approx. 3 miles to WMA sign turn left (west) on Anderson-Tully Road. WMA headquarters approx. 2 miles ahead. If you have any questions regarding Mahannah WMA call (601) 661-0294.
Mahannah Wildlife Management Area (WMA) is located in Warren and Issaquena counties, approximately 15 miles north of Vicksburg, Mississippi. The WMA consists of approximately 12,695 acres of bottomland hardwoods, agriculture fields, hardwood reforestation, and waterfowl impoundments. Mahannah WMA is part of one of the most ecologically intact and biologically diverse bottomland hardwood ecosystems in the Mississippi Delta. The area is a unique balance of flooding timber, cypress swamps, and controlled flooded agricultural lands. This diverse land provides habitat for some of the largest concentrations of wintering waterfowl in the Mississippi Delta.
The area provides habitats for various species of wintering waterfowl. Shallow areas are used by puddle ducks and the deeper water is used by diving ducks. Mallard is the primary species; however, northern shoveler, canvasback, blue-winged teal, green-winged teal, gadwall, northern pintail, wood duck, American widgeon and others are abundant.
Approximately 1,486 acres of open farmland are managed for waterfowl each year. These areas are either planted in crops, millet, milo, corn, soybeans, etc. or maintained in moist soil species and flooded in the fall by pumping. These areas were enhanced with the development and construction of a levee system which began during FY 2003 and was completed in FY 2005. This allows personnel to manage the water earlier and more precisely by closing water control structures and allowing rainfall to flood the area behind the structures. Also, several hundred acres of timber are managed to provide wintering waterfowl habitat.
- Rules & Regs for Mahannah WMA
- WMA Interactive Map
- WMA Draw Hunts
- Mahannah Area Map
- Mahannah Waterfowl Hunt Units
- Mahannah Dove Field - 2019 Information Coming Soon
- Mahannah Wildlife Openings
- Waterfowl Hunting Information
- Mahannah Deer Data
- Handicapped Hunter Access
- Local Weather
Important Information if you are Hunting Waterfowl on Mahannah WMA
- Area is moist soil habitat with some natural cover. There are some hunt units in the timber on lakes.
- ATV/UTVs are recommended but there are hunt units that can be accessed by foot.
- Some type of small layout boat, layout blind with tub, etc. to allow hunter to reduce silhouette, is recommended.
- Camouflage - Tan or brown camouflage (e.g. Fast Grass) in moist soil units is recommended.