Manager: Tim Harden
Howard Miller WMA is located in Issaquena County near Rolling Fork. From Rolling Fork go 5.2 miles west on Hwy 14. Turn left opposite the intersection with Hwy 1. Follow paved road 4.5 miles, then turn left on Grant Road. Follow Grant Road 3.2 miles to WMA Headquarters. If you have any questions regarding Howard Miller WMA call (662) 873-6958.
Description: Howard Miller WMA is a 2,400 acre tract located in Issaquena County approximately 13 miles from Rolling Fork. It is a former rice and soybean farm that was acquired by the Mississippi Department of Wildlife, Fisheries, and Parks (MDWFP) in 2007. There are 48 fields separated by levees and ditches. These fields are grouped into 24 hunt units approximately 80 acres in size each. There are 420 acres of permanent wildlife sanctuary.
Howard Miller WMA is managed as a quality waterfowl hunting area. Approximately 480 acres are managed for moist-soil vegetation with beneficial native plants. Plant species that are selected for include smartweed, sprangletop, wild millets, and various sedges. All of these native species produce large numbers of seeds that are relished by waterfowl in winter. The remaining area is planted in soybeans, corn, and rice.
Waterfowl hunting is by draw hunt only with a combination of pre-season draws and stand-by opportunities. Hunts are conducted on Saturdays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays. Random drawings are conducted at 5:00 the morning of each hunt day. Pre-season draws guarantee a hunter he will hunt on the day of his draw, but he must still draw for a hunt unit the morning of his reservation.
WMA Waterfowl Draw Hunt Procedures for the 2021-22 Hunting Season
The MDWFP has made procedural changes to waterfowl draw hunts on Wildlife Management Areas for the 2021-22 hunting season.
Procedures for the upcoming hunting season are outlined below:
- The waterfowl draw hunt application period (5 draw periods per WMA) will be open concurrently from Oct 1 to Oct 15 and all drawings and notifications will be completed by Nov 1.
- Hunting units will be assigned when draw winners are notified by email.
- Drawn hunters and their guests will sign in on the pre-drawn sign in sheet by 5:00 am (at WMA Headquarters Building), and then proceed to their assigned hunting unit the morning of the hunt.
- There will be “stand-by” opportunity on Howard Miller, Mahannah, Mahannah/Phil Bryant Timber, and Muscadine Farms WMAs for non-drawn hunters to show up the day of a hunt for a chance to fill a vacant spot.
- If drawn hunters DO NOT sign in by 5:00 am, their hunt unit will become available in the stand-by draw.
- For stand-by hunters, one designated person from each hunt group will sign in all members of their hunting party on a numbered stand-by sign in sheet by 5:00 am. and will draw for the order in which they will select any hunt units left available.
- This will continue until all available hunt units are allocated or all stand-by groups have a hunt unit.
- Rules & Regs for Howard Miller WMA
- WMA Interactive Map
- WMA Draw Hunts
- Howard Miller Area Map
- Howard Miller Hunt Unit Map
- Teal Pond
- Waterfowl Hunting Information
- Handicapped Hunter Access
- Local Weather
Important Information if you are Hunting Howard Miller WMA
- Parts of each impoundment have standing soybeans, however, cover is very limited and it is recommended to bring some type of artificial cover for concealment.
- Select impoundments have duck blinds as an option for hunters to use.
- Some type of small layout boat, layout blind with tub, etc. to allow hunter to reduce silhouette, is recommended.
- Camouflage - Tan or brown camouflage (e.g. Fast Grass) in moist soil units is recommended.
- ATV/UTVs recommended/almost a must have!
- DO NOT plan on pulling a trailer behind ATV/UTV to hunt units!