***2014 Alligator Season***
- The season dates for the 2014 alligator hunting seasons were proposed to the Commission on March 6, but are not finalized.
- There are no plans for significant changes to season dates, application procedures, and regulations, unanticipated changes may become necessary.
- If you are interested, please refer to the 2013 information links below to become familiar with requirements and procedures for obtaining hunting permits.
PROPOSED SEASON DATES for 2014:
Public Waters Season: August 29-September 8, 2014
- Application period June 2 - June 9
- (electronic application via this website - only)
- (one week only)
- (must have a valid MS Hunting License to apply)
Private Lands Season: August 29-September 22, 2014
- Application period: June 1 - July 1
- (Mail-in application with all required documents)
Detailed instructions about season dates and applications procedures will be available in May. (Scroll down to ADDITIONAL RESOURCES for more information).
Alligator Hunting Records Broken in 2013
All 4 categories of alligator hunting records have been broken
during the 2013 alligator hunting season. UPDATED: September
CLICK HERE for more details.
Alligators may be found all across Mississippi. They are most prevalent in the southern two-thirds of the state (south of Hwy 82). While alligators typically avoid humans and human activity, occassionally they do cause conflicts with humans. Juvenile alligators often disperse into new territiories in the late spring and early summer months. During this dispersal they occassionally find themselves in unusual locations near human development, such as; farm ponds, road ditches, highways, parking lots, yards, swimming pools, neighborhood water landscape pools, and even buildings. It is illegal and very dangerous for the public to capture and remove or kill an alligator without special permit from the MDWFP. As human developments (residential and commercial) continue to encroach into more rural areas of the state, increased interaction and conflicts with wildlife are subject to occur.
Alligator Program Coordinator
- Alligator Nest Hatch Videos (**NEW Sept. 2013**)
- PUBLIC WATERS Hunting Information
- PRIVATE LANDS Hunting Information
- PERMIT and LICENSE Purchasing Instructions
- 2013 Alligator Hunting Guide
- Nuisance Alligators
- Alligator Hunting & Harvest History in Mississippi
- Alligator Awareness
- Alligator Capture & Harvest Techniques
- Alligator Dispatch Techniques
- Alligator Skinning Instructions
- Alligator Hide & Meat Processing Instructions
- MS Alligator Hunting Records
- Alligator Tagging and Tales - (the tagging and release program)
- Alligators in Mississippi Then & Now
- The Recovery of the American Alligator in Mississippi
- Mississippi's First Alligator Hunting Season - 2005
- Alligators - Neighbors or Nuisance Pest?
- Feeding Alligators: "It Could Cost You an Arm and A Leg"
- What's the Problem With Alligators? PEOPLE!