The MDWFP provides permits for dove hunting on private leased fields during the first two dove seasons. The fields have been planted to a variety of crops including sunflowers, millet, and corn. A permit allows a hunter to hunt three days per week (Mondays, Wednesdays and Saturday) during these first two dove seasons. Each permit also allows up to two youths to hunt with an adult hunter at no additional cost. Only a limited number of permits are available on each field to ensure safety and hunt quality.
2013 Private Lands Dove Field Update
Permit prices will be $100.00 for Prentiss, Tate, Rankin, Copiah, Jones and Pearl River County dove fields and $105.00 for the Kemper County dove field.
Each field's information, including map, number of stands, stand locations and driving directions, will be available online the week of July 29. Please check back here soon for complete information on the Private Lands Dove Field Program.
2013 Dove Fields
- Rankin County
- Kemper County
- Copiah County
- Tate County
- Pearl River County
- Prentiss County
- Jones County
Dove Field Rules and Regulations
- Hunting allowed only on Mondays, Wednesdays and Saturdays after 12:00 PM.
- Hunting dates in North Dove Zone are September 2 - September 22
and October 12 - November 4, 2013 and for the South Dove Zone are
- September 9 and October 5 - November 4, 2013.
- Hunters must hunt from a designated stand on Sept 2 and Sept 4. A hunter's permit number will be their stand number for these two days. Hunters may be able to hunt from any designated stand location on a first come first serve basis on any hunt date after Sept 4.
- No more than two shooters per stand, of which only one may be an adult. Two youths may be able to hunt from a stand but only under the direct supervision of a non-hunting licensed adult, 21 years old or older. One limit of doves is allowed per hunter per day.
- Any hunter under the age of 16 years old is considered a youth and must be under the direct supervision of a licensed adult, 21 years old or older.
- No shooting at low flying birds. All rules of gun safety must be followed.
- No littering. All spent shotgun hulls must be picked up and removed.
- Vehicle parking will be in designated areas only.
- No alcoholic beverages will be allowed.
- All State and Federal laws will be enforced and must be followed.
- Any unsafe act or violation of any of these rules and regulations can lead to loss of hunting privileges on any MDWFP Private Lands Dove Field Program field.
Dove Field Permit Types and Costs
Dove field permits may be bought in your name or in the name of
another licensed hunter. If multiple permits are bought in your
name, you may be able to take guests hunting on those extra
permits. The person whose name is on the permit must be on the
field hunting while his guest(s) are hunting. Example: A person who
may want to take different persons with them on different hunts
would want to purchase multiple permits in their name. If any of
these guests would want to be able to go to the field on their own,
they would need to buy their own individual permit.
During the online purchasing process, permit ownership may be changed prior to the close of the sale. Once the sale is final, permits are not transferable or refundable.
Permit Type 1 - Individual Field Permit
Allows a person to hunt a reserved stand in an individual field on opening weekend (see rule #3) and that same individual field for the entire season. (Price as listed)
Permit Type 2 - Dove Club Permit with Opening Weekend Privileges
Allows a person to hunt a reserved stand in an individual field on opening weekend (see rule #3) and that same and all other dove fields after opening weekend. ($200.00)
Permit Type 3 - Dove Club Permit without Opening Weekend Privileges
Allows a person to hunt all dove fields after opening weekend only.($150.00)