Opening day of dove season is one of the most anticipated and popular hunting days of the year for many Mississippians. Dove season brings some of the first hunting opportunities of the fall as the long and hot Mississippi summer comes to a close. In the southeast, dove hunting has a long tradition of being a very social event and is a time for fellowship with friends and family outdoors. The opening day of dove season is a day not to be missed for many Mississippi hunters. Wing shooters around the state should take a moment to check out the variety of public dove hunting opportunities provided by the Mississippi Department of Wildlife, Fisheries, and Parks. Information on these opportunities can be found using the links below.
2018 - 2019 Dove Hunting Season Dates:
- North Zone: Sept. 1 - Oct. 7, Oct. 27 - Nov. 7, and Dec. 22 - Jan. 31
- Dove North Zone: Areas north of U.S. Hwy. 84 plus areas south of U.S. Hwy. 84 and west of MS Hwy. 35.
- South Zone: Sept. 1 - Sept. 9, Oct. 6 - Nov. 7, and Dec. 15 - Jan. 31
- Dove South Zone: Areas south of U.S. Hwy. 84 and east of MS Hwy. 35.
Apply for Youth Dove Hunts on WMAs:
This year there will be two special youth dove hunts held on Black Prairie and Mahannah WMAs. The Black Prairie Youth Dove Hunt will be held on September 3, 2018. The Mahannah WMA Youth Dove Hunt will be held on September 8, 2018.
These hunts are open to youth hunters 15 years of age and younger. A parent or guardian over 21 years of age must accompany each youth hunter during the entire hunt. Youth hunters must check in the day of the hunt at 11 a.m. The hunt will begin at 2 p.m. and conclude at sunset. Special events during the day of the hunt will include skeet shooting, safety discussions, and a provided lunch.
Participants must register online to attend these hunts. Applications will be will be accepted on a first come first serve basis beginning August 1. The Black Prairie hunt will be limited to 50 youth.
Dove Hunting and Management Information
- Dove Field Preparation and Hunting Regulations
- Dove Management for Landowners (MSU Extension Publication)
- Dove Biology (NRCS Publication)
- Dove Population Status