Dive into an underwater adventure and explore the science of watersheds, aquatic animals, and our ocean in Ocean Bound!, a national traveling exhibit at MDWFP’s Mississippi Museum of Natural Science, from January 26, 2019 – May 12, 2019.
“We’re hosting this exhibit so our visitors can see how everyone’s actions on land affect our ocean and to give families a fun environmental science learning experience,” says Charles Knight, Museum Director.
Get a unique and breathtaking introduction to the majesty of the ocean in Ocean Bound! Explore the ocean’s vast diversity and come to understand our connection to it through more than 65 eye-popping aquatic species and ecosystems, hi-definition video, and hands-on activities.
Journey through watersheds to see how everyone’s actions on land affect our ocean:
- Make it rain in a 3-D watershed model,
- Pilot a full-size “submersible” from mountain stream all the way to the ocean, discovering aquatic species and habitats along the way,
- Be a biologist and find out fun facts about these animals and their environments,
- Guide “water” safely through a hazardous maze - but watch out for oil, mined metals, and animal waste,
- Turn cranks to divert “pollutants” as they travel through stormwater drains in an 8-station interactive ball machine,
- Curl up with a book or play with early childhood exhibits inside the Riverside Clubhouse.
In this interactive exhibit, you and your family will:
- Understand the science of watersheds, and how watersheds affect animals, ecosystems, our ocean and Planet Earth,
- Explore what makes a healthy watershed, and recognize threats to water resources such as water quality and quantity,
- Learn how science can help to improve watersheds, and be inspired to seek knowledge about your watershed,
- Be empowered to change behaviors to help aquatic animals and ecosystems,
- Be part of a long-term solution to protect vital watershed resources.
What can YOU do in your watershed to protect our ocean? Find out in Ocean Bound!
Touring the exhibit is included with museum admission: $6 for adults, $5 for seniors (ages 60 and up), $4 for youth ages 3-18, under age 3 are free. Museum Members are free.
The museum is open Monday – Friday from 8 a.m. - 5 p.m., Saturday from 9 a.m. - 5 p.m., and Sunday from 1 p.m. - 5 p.m.
Ocean Bound!, was developed by the Sciencecenter and funded by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Association (NOAA). The exhibit is sponsored locally by the Mississippi Department of Wildlife, Fisheries, and Parks, the Mississippi Museum of Natural Science Foundation, Feild Co-operative Association, Inc., Sanderson Farms, Inc., The Walker Foundation, Ergon, and Trustmark.