Outdoor Recreational Grants
December 14, 2020
It is with pleasure the Mississippi Department of Wildlife, Fisheries, and Parks - Outdoor Recreation Grants Division (ORG) opens the Recreational Trails Program and the Land and Water Conservation Fund project funding opportunities.
Recreational Trails Program Funding Cycle – Closes March 4, 2021
- RTP Funding Announcement Information
- RTP Application (downloads a Microsoft Word Document)
- RTP Guidelines
Land and Water Conservation Fund Funding Cycle – Closes May 20, 2021
- LWCF Funding Announcement Information
- LWCF Application (downloads a Microsoft Word Document)
- LWCF Guidelines and Appendices
Note: If you plan to submit an RTP or LWCF application, please send an email to Terry.McDill@wfp.ms.gov stating which program and name of applicant.
Recreational Trails Program
The Moving Ahead for Progress in the 21st Century Act (MAP-21) reauthorized the Recreational Trails Program (RTP) through Federal fiscal years 2013 and 2014 as a set-aside from the Transportation Alternatives Program.
- receives funds apportioned by statutory formula
- administers its own program, usually through a State resource or park agency
- develops its own procedures to solicit and select projects for funding
- has a State Recreational Trail Advisory Committee to assist with the program that must meet at least one time each fiscal year
- in some States, the committee selects the projects
- in others, the committee is advisory only
Land and Water Conservation Fund Program
The Land and Water Conservation Fund (LWCF) program was established by the LWCF Act of 1965. Federal funds are appropriated by Congress through the Department of Interior and administered on the federal level by National Park Service (NPS) and on the state level by the Mississippi Department of Wildlife, Fisheries, and Parks, Outdoor Recreational Grants division.
The Land and Water Conservation Fund (LWCF) program was established to stimulate a nationwide action program to assist in preserving, developing, and assuring to all citizens of the United States, of present and future generations, such quality and quantity of outdoor recreation resources as may be available. The program provides matching grants to States, and through the States to local units of government, for the acquisition and development of public outdoor recreation sites and facilities. Funding for the program is provided largely from Outer Continental Shelf mineral receipts, with additional income from the Motorboat Fuels Tax, recreation user fees, and through the sales of federal surplus property. Federal LWCF obligations have been matched by state and local contributions, for a total recreation investment of over $6 billion dollars.
If you have any questions, please contact the Outdoor Recreational Grants Division at (601) 432-2227 or email Terry.McDill@wfp.ms.gov
Outdoor Recreational Grants (ORG)