MS Scholastic Shooting Program
2020-2021 Season Dates:
- First Fall Qualifier Shoot at McIvor Shooting Facility (November 11-14, 2020)
- Second Fall Qualifier Shoot at Turcotte Shooting Facility (December 2-5, 2020)
- Rescheduled due to COVID (February 3-6, 2021)
- State Tournament at Turcotte Shooting Facility and Capital Gun Club (April 30 - May 1, 2021)
The Mississippi Scholastic Shooting Program (MSSP) is a team-based, youth development program that uses the shotgun sports of 5-Stand, Skeet, and Sporting Clays to instill life skills such as discipline, safety, teamwork, ethics, self-confidence, and other life values. The program utilizes these disciplines to teach hunting skills through the safe use of hunting equipment, including firearms, and their relationship to hunting situations. Team members can participate in any or all three of the clay target disciplines: 5-Stand, Skeet, and Sporting Clays.
MSSP began in 2015 as a pilot program with four (4) participating schools with approximately 30 students. The annual growth is listed below:
- 2016 – 2017, seven (7) schools with 110 students.
- 2017 – 2018, eight (8) schools with 157 students.
- 2018 – 2019, sixteen (16) schools with 294 students.
- 2019 – 2020, twenty-nine (29) schools with 498 students.
- 2020 – 2021, fifty-four (54) schools with 898 students.
The MSSP is not designed to compete with 4-H or other youth-based organizations but should complement them in schools. The MSSP will provide youth an opportunity to compete for their school in a scholastic shooting sports program.
2021 MSSP State Championship School
East Rankin Academy
MDWFP is pleased to announce the winners of the MSSP State Championship, which took place at Capitol Gun Club and Turcotte Shooting Facility on April 30 & May 1. Winners of the tournament received a total of $10,000 in college scholarships provided by the Foundation for Mississippi Wildlife, Fisheries, and Parks.
- M.S.S.P Handbook
- YPI Grant Information
- Tournament Roster
- Coach Registration (Due October 1st)
- Student Registration Form (Due October 1st)
- MSSP Volunteer Log Sheet (Due Monthly)
- Informational PowerPoint
Coaching Training Classes for 2021-2022 Season
To register for a class email request to firstname.lastname@example.org AND go to "Education/Outreach," "Hunter Education Classes," click "search for a Hunter Education class," click on "Enter Reserved Class Code." Codes are located below in bold:
- Friday, May 28, 2021 - Turcotte Shooting Facility - MSSP52821
- Friday, June 11, 2021 - McIvor Shooting Facility - MSSP61121
- Friday, June 25, 2021 - McHenry Shooting Facility - MSSP62521
- Friday, July 9, 2021 - Turcotte Shooting Facility - MSSP7921
- Friday, July 23, 2021 - McIvor Shooting Facility - MSSP72321
- Friday, August 20, 2021 - Location TBA (only if needed)
For Additional Information Contact:
Michelle Carter (Director of Outreach Programs)
Office (601) 432-2276
Cell (601) 665-2788
Jad Touchton (Range Administrator)
Office (601) 859-5164