Mississippi Hunter Education
**In-Person Hunter Ed. classes are canceled until further notice. Online classes are still available. See below.**
(In class with instructor)
Hunter Education works. Since 1950, when formal hunter safety programs were introduced, the number of hunting and firearms-related accidents has declined dramatically nationwide. In Mississippi, we know that our hunter education efforts have reduced firearms accidents and saved lives. The Mississippi Department of Wildlife, Fisheries, and Parks offers hunter education classes free of charge at locations across the state. The hunter education course includes 10 hours of instruction. To obtain hunter education certification, students must be at least 10 years of age and must attend all classroom hours and pass written exam.
All persons born after January 1, 1972 are required to complete a hunter education course before purchasing a Mississippi hunting license. Also Effective July 1, 2000, anyone twelve (12) years of age and under sixteen (16) years of age must have a certificate of satisfactory completion of a hunter education course approved by the Department before hunting alone in this state. A child at least twelve (12) years of age and under (16) years of age may hunt without having the certificate of hunter education if the child is in the presence and under the direct supervision of a licensed or exempt hunter at least twenty-one (21) years of age when hunting.
Duplicate Hunter Education Card
If you have lost your hunter education card, please follow this link to purchase a new duplicate card and download a temporary card. The fee for a duplicate card is $3.00.
To obtain a duplicate hunter education card without using a credit card please print the application form, complete it, and mail it in with $3.00.
Search for a Hunter Education Class
* If a Hunter Education Class is not available in your area and a class is needed as soon as possible, an Online Hunter Education Course is available. Please see the information below to learn more about the Online Hunter Education Course.
Online Hunter Education Course
Mississippi residents age 16 and over can complete their hunter education requirement online. The internet course, Today’s Hunter in Mississippi, is video-narrated and interactive. The card from the online course can be presented as a digital or paper copy to license vendors to purchase a hunting license (Online Hunter Ed Course).
Residents under 16 (ages 10-15) who choose to take the internet course will still need to attend a three-hour classroom course before being certified. The internet course allows the student to complete part of the course from any computer with internet access, and upon completing a pre-certification exam, the student then goes to a pre-determined classroom setting to complete the final three hours. This allows the student time for interaction with the instructor and completion of final testing (Online Hunter Ed Course).
* The last three hours of the Online Hunter Education Course are available at any of our regional offices each week or available as a part of most one day classes. Students must pre-register for the class, click the following link https://education.mdwfp.com/Web/Event/CountySelection . You must bring proof of online certification of completion. It can either be a digital copy or paper copy.
Central Region - Every Friday 1 pm - 4 pm (601) 859-3421 - Must Register Online
South Region - Every Friday 1 pm - 4 pm (601) 783-2911 - Must Register Online
North Region - Every Wednesday 12 pm- 3pm (662) 563-6221- Must Register Online
The Hunter Education program is designed to:
- reduce hunting and tree stand accidents
- teach hunter ethics and responsibility
- promote wildlife conservation
- teach firearm safety
Specifically, the course contents include:
- hunter ethics and responsibility
- history of firearms
- gun handling
- blackpowder and muzzleloading
- wildlife identification
- principles of wildlife management
- water safety
- first aid
- tree stand safety
If you have any questions please call MDWFP HQ at 601-432-2181.