Alligator Permit Application Process
Welcome to the application process for permits to hunt alligators on public waters in Mississippi during the 2018 Alligator Hunting Season (August 31-September 10, 2018).
Restrictions do apply. Please read the information below before attempting to purchase your application:
When are applications available?
Applications will be offered beginning at 10 a.m. June 1 until 10 a.m. on June 7, 2018.
Who can apply?
- Must be at least 16 years old at the time of purchase
- Must possess one of the following valid resident licenses: Sportsman License, All-Game Hunting/Fishing License, Small Game Hunting/Fishing License, Apprentice Sportsman License, Apprentice All Game License, Apprentice Small Game License, Senior Exempt License, Disabled Exempt License, or a Lifetime License.
- NO Exceptions.
What if you do not currently possess one of the pre-requisite licenses listed above? To buy one of these licenses online, click here (Purchase Licenses), then immediately return to buy your alligator hunting application.
How much does the application cost?
- Applications are free but there is a processing fee of $2.29 to $2.34, depending on purchasing method. Online purchases require a credit or debit card.
How many times can I apply?
- Customers can only purchase an application in one Alligator Hunting Zone of their choice.
- There are 7 Zones: Northwest, Northeast, West Central, Southwest, South Central, Southeast, and the Pearl Ross Barnett Zone.
Where are applications sold?
- Applications are sold at any location that sells MS Hunting/Fishing Licenses, by phone (1-800-5GO-HUNT), or online at mdwfp.com.
APPLICATION NOTE: At the time of application, customers are encouraged to review their application receipt or email confirmation to be sure that they have applied for the correct zone and that their email address is correct. If there is an error on your receipt, customers should call the MDWFP immediately to make corrections at (601) 432-2055.
When will the drawing take place?
- A random drawing for each hunting zone will be completed on about June 13 by a third-party entity.
- A second drawing will occur on about June 25 to draw winners to fill any unpurchased permits that remain from the first drawing in each alligator hunting zone.
- The second drawing will consist of all applicants who were not drawn in the first drawing.
- The second drawing will occur only for zones that have unpurchased permits remaining from the first drawing.
How will winners be notified?
- Via email with a link to purchase their permit.
- An email address is required (notifications will be sent to winners via email).
- Winners will have 48 hours to complete their online permit purchase.
- The permit cost is $200.
- Winners of the second drawing will be notified by email and will also be provided a link to purchase their permit. They will have 48 hours to purchase their permit.
- Customers can return to the Application Purchasing Page to “Check status” at any time and “Update Customer Information” between June 1-7.
How will I receive my permits and tags?
- Winners who successfully purchase their permit will receive their Permit/License/Tags in the mail in approximately two weeks.
- The Temporary Possession Tags are attached to the paper Permit/License and are to be torn off, signed, and placed onto your alligator, as required.
- A 2018 Alligator Hunting Guide will be mailed to you separately from your permit.